Friday, September 14, 2012

Retiring Sled Dogs

Can you imagine anyone with more of a need for an active ongoing life than a retiring sled dog?
Over the past 18 years we have been so fortunate to provide a place for sled dogs to retire from 1000 mile races and extreme temperatures, but it certainly has not been a sedentary existence for these amazing dogs.

We have bred some of these retirees and with their expertise and help we have trained our own teams, but' in the lead or team we've always had  retirees, as well.   The races we've run have ranged from one to 30 miles, all ages of humans, but the training for these has been every day activity and enjoyment for all of the kennel dogs.  Those who can't run in teams run free every day.

I've read that getting into sled dogs is like jumping on a cliff , you grow your wings in the air.  Our first retiree was Scuba and she had raced with Susan Butcher.  She was anything but retired!   She raised her pups and trained them in spite of me.  I hung on while she taught them to pull and me to drive, literally.   The first ride she ever took me on was in a wilderness setting.  She dumped me and kept on going.   I like to say she was waiting at the truck with a "Where were you, rookie?" attitude when I reached her, after I had walked several miles.   She knew what SHE  was doing, I just had to catch up.  So I grew my wings under the tutelage of some amazing dogs. 

In the meantime, I learned that they acclimate better if you follow their rules.  They come here and let us know who they are and what they need, in various ways.   Some are more forthcoming than others.  But we find that, when we've listened to them and given them a nice home with amenities and safety, they settle in and learn trust, the basis for memorable relationships.  They don't come as prima donnas, , but they
are to be honored and given dignified treatment.  For that, they are grateful and the trust grows between us.
We love to see them settle into trailwalking and companionships and house visits.  

As I reflect on how we welcome and accomodate these lifetime friends, it occurs to me it is not too unlike
retirement settings for humans.   They want physical and mental challenge that they can select;  they want companionship or they don't;  they appreciate and need love and attention and good medical care.  And, as 16 year old Lillen would tell you , they aren't done racing yet.   She walks on a lead now for safety, but her return is always a race to the finish line, she's clearly used to winning.  She can't see her walking partners too well nor hear them, but she's just winning, out in front.  Every day she wins and we cheer. 

PHOTO:

Great team with 'retirees' Martin, Skinny, Frita, Stella, Lillen and their offspring, on six mile run.

No comments:

Post a Comment